Chermoula is a North African blend of spices which is usually made into a marinade. It combines cumin, coriander, paprika and parsley. Here I’ve mixed the spices together to give the chickpeas a wonderful flavour. I love the combination of fragrant spices with the chilli kick. Roasting chickpeas makes them so crunchy and yummy; they are like savoury popcorn crisps! They are great for snacking but also add texture to a variety of different dishes from soup, salads and quinoa to curries and avocado toast! There is no end to their uses! They are so simple to make, just coat the chickpeas in oil and spices and roast in the oven!
For the chermoula
½ tsp dried Parsley
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp Paprika
1 small garlic clove, grated
Few pinches of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
1 x 400g tin Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ tbsp Olive oil
½ Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 C fan.
- To make the chermoula spice mix, mix all the herbs, spices and garlic together on a saucer with a good grind of salt and black pepper.
- Place your chickpeas into a bowl and pour over the oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle over the chermoula and mix together until all the chickpeas are coated in oil and spice.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until crunchy and golden brown. Shake the tray halfway through to ensure an even crispy texture.
- Cool on the tray and eat immediately!
Naturally vegan and gluten-free (obvs they’re chickpeas!)
- If you prefer a softer texture, bake them for 25-30 minutes instead.
- They are best eaten fresh as they can go soft the day after so eat them straight away!
If you make these chickpeas let me know! Like and share your thoughts in the comments below. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, I love seeing what you guys are making! Thanks so much!