I absolutely adore aubergines! They’re definitely one of mine and my mums’ favourite veggies. We both love baba ghanoush too which is a smoky roasted aubergine dip. I could honestly sit and eat a whole tub with a spoon, just like I eat peanut butter! So, I just had to make it into a delicious houmous. This one combines soft roasted aubergine, chickpeas, garlic, lemon and tahini, with cumin, smoked paprika and a hint of cayenne pepper. Its so creamy and yum, with the flavours complementing each other perfectly. Houmous is a really quick and easy way to eat more healthily and I know how boring and uninspiring it can be sometimes, especially shop brought ones, so hopefully this recipe gets you more excited about your houmous! It’s vegan, gluten free and so simple to make. If you love aubergines like I do, give this a go!
1 x 400g tin Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 Garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp Tahini
2 tbsp Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C fan.
- Pierce the aubergine with a knife and place it in the oven for 30 minutes, adding the garlic to the tray for the last 10 minutes.
- The aubergine should be really soft inside and starting to crisp up on the outside. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Cut the top off the aubergine and scrape out the flesh, discarding the skin and add to a food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve and eat straight away or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Love aubergines too? Then check out my Roasted Courgette and Aubergine Risotto using buckwheat!