I love falafel! They are perfect for on-the-go lunches and speedy dinners! But they can also be a bit boring and quite dry. No one likes a dry falafel! So I wanted to create something that was so much more exciting than your usual falafel, using the moistest ingredients I possibly can so they are not dry in any way! The result is a beautifully moist falafel with delicious flavours of the Mediterranean. Pesto, sundried tomatoes and olives. The natural oils in these ingredients give a lovely melt-in-the-mouth soft texture. The combination of them with the more traditional flavours of cumin and coriander works a dream! I also like to fry the onion and garlic in extra spice as that increases the flavour even more! They are vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free too, made from simple store cupboard ingredients and take about half an hour from start to finish. Let me know if you try them!
1 x 400g tin Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small Red Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
1 ½ tsp ground Cumin
1 ½ tsp ground Coriander
60g Sundried Tomatoes, drained
2 tbsp vegan basil pesto
Salt and pepper
So quick. So simple. So yum
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease a baking tray with oil.
- Roughly chop the onion and finely chop the garlic cloves. Fry on a medium heat with olive oil, ½ tsp cumin and ½ tsp coriander until soft, for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients: chickpeas, remaining spices, sundried toms, olives and pesto then season with salt and black pepper.
- Blend until everything is combined and you have a sticky mix which you can roll into balls. (Its up to you whether you like a completely smooth mix or a chunky one)
- Roll into evenly sized balls with your hands and place on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes. (the secret to moist falafel is not to overbake them).
- Eat warm straight away or leave to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge to enjoy tomorrow.
Pesto, sundried tomatoes and olives combine to make a delicious tasting falafel
Perfect for on-the-go lunches and speedy dinners! Turn them into burgers too! See tip below!
- These make great burgers! Just shape them into patties and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180 C fan. I like to bake them beforehand and then fry them in a little oil on each side before serving!
- Like them a little more crisp and cooked through? Turn the oven up to 190 C and bake for 22 minutes.
- Perfect in buddha bowls and with salad served with tahini, houmous or tzatziki. They are lush with anything!
If you are making these yummy falafels, I’d love to know! Tag me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter so I can see what you make. Use the hashtag #elliesrecipes and let me know what you thought in the comments below. Thank you!