It might seem a little weird putting carrot in your porridge but trust me it really does taste like a warm carrot cake! Absolutely yum!! A healthy breakfast that tastes like cake!? Creamy oats, grated carrot, juicy raisins, crunchy walnuts and warming notes of cinnamon and nutmeg all come together in this bowl of dreamy porridge. Porridge makes a great breakfast any day of the week as it provides a slow release of energy which keeps you full all morning. Plus, this recipe gives you fibre, a boost of protein from the nuts and seeds and vitamin A from the carrots so you really are getting a nutritionally balanced breakfast which tastes amazing too! I know porridge isn’t the most glamorous looking breakfast nor does it always taste nice, so I really hope I’ve made it appetising and appealing enough to make! I want everyone to love their porridge!
Vegan, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free and Gluten-Free using GF oats
170-180ml Dairy-free milk, depending on how thick you like it
1 small Carrot, grated
30g Raisins or Sultanas
1 tbsp Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds
½ tsp Mixed Spice
Drizzle of maple or honey
- To a saucepan add the oats, dried fruit, seeds, nuts and mixed spice along with ¾ of the milk and heat gently on a medium heat.
- As the milk is absorbed, keep stirring the mixture and when it thickens add the rest of the milk along with the grated carrot.
- Cook for another minute or two until the rest of the milk has disappeared and its become thick and creamy.
- Serve into a bowl, add all your favourite toppings and enjoy!
- You can adjust the amount of milk to the consistency you like it, some people like a more runny porridge while others prefer it thicker.
- If you prefer the carrot to be cooked more and less crunchy, add it at the beginning of cooking.
- You can swap any of the ingredients for what you have in the cupboard, dates instead of raisins, pecans instead of walnuts.
- Go crazy with toppings! Coconut yoghurt, nut butter, desiccated or flaked coconut, more nuts, seeds, carrot, blueberries, fruit compote, apple slices, squares of chocolate, the possibilities are endless…