Hey there guys! Haven’t posted in a while as I’ve been so busy with the Bridport Vegan Market last week. It was such a great day meeting lots of lovely people and almost selling out of all my products! Thank you so much everyone! I’ll update my events page with a little clip of photos from the day! I’ll be back at Bridport Vegan Market on the 13th July!
Now lets get back to the recipe! These super simple cheese straws are vegan, gluten free and so yum! Who doesn’t love a cheese straw! This is sort of an ‘accidental’ recipe as I didn’t plan on making it or posting it on here but the other week I had some leftover puff pastry and had to make something with it! I looked on the packaging and it said ‘off cuts are great for making tasty cheese straws’, so I did! I didn’t have any vegan cheese so I used nutritional yeast instead and it worked a treat! It’s amazing how the combo of dried yeast flakes and buttery pastry can taste like cheese! The mind boggles!
Nutritional yeast is so weird. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s dried inactive yeast flakes with a savoury cheesy taste and the appearance of fish food. If that doesn’t make it sound appetising, I don’t know what will. Haha! Honestly, it’s quite nice and I think it tastes exactly like cheese and onion crisps!
The puff pastry is amazing because it’s ready made! It’s completely ok to buy ready made pastry in a packet. Don’t feel as though you have to make everything from scratch, we all need a bit of convenience in our lives!
So there’s only 2 main ingredients: puff pastry and nutritional yeast, plus some seasoning and dairy-free milk for brushing. I did say they were super simple!
Perfect for dipping and sharing or just as good on their own as a snack!
Hope you enjoy!
Makes 16 straws
1 x 320g Vegan & Gluten-free Puff Pastry Sheet (can get just vegan, see tip below)
Dairy-free milk, for brushing
Few pinches Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 C fan and grease two baking trays.
- Take your puff pastry sheet and lay it flat on the surface (it should be already rolled out). Brush milk all over the top and then cover with a layer of nutritional yeast.
- Season generously all over with salt and black pepper.
- Add any additional extras you wish, dried thyme is nice or add cayenne pepper for a spicy kick!
- Cut the sheet in half, then cut each half into 8 strips horizontally.
- Chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. This will make it easier to work with.
- Take out the fridge and start twisting! Twist each end in opposite directions a few times so the nutritional yeast side is on the inside. Repeat for each one!
- Transfer to the greased baking trays, brush over with more milkand bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on the trays before digging in.
Vegan and Gluten-free
Super simple recipe you can make for summer picnics and BBQ’s.
- In this recipe I used Jus-Rol Vegan Ready Rolled Puff Pastry sheet. They also do a gluten-free and vegan puff pastry sheet but I find the vegan one gives a better texture.
- You can get nutritional yeast from most health food shops. It’s relatively cheap, lasts forever and has many different uses.
As always, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter if you’re making these and use the hashtag #elliesrecipes. Go mad and share this recipe, like and comment your thoughts below! Thank you so much! I’ve got another new recipe coming your way next Saturday! Have a great week!